Establishing Best in Class Practices Ensures a Peaceful Night Sleep
“Unyson is the best decision I’ve made in the last eight years. I sleep easier at night knowing they’re my partner.”
A large, just-in-time (JIT) beverage industry company made that statement in a recent conversation, and I couldn’t have been happier to hear it. Developing that kind of trust is crucial, but it’s not always easy…and in retrospect it didn’t happen overnight.
I have the pleasure of working with two JIT manufacturers that are measuring deliveries and schedules in seconds, not minutes or hours. Often times, I am asked by my network how we have maintained 99.0%+ service levels during a volatile industry that fluctuates capacity seasonally. To me, it’s easy. We knew that on day 1, we must establish best practices and use them as guiding principles.
Unyson had the opportunity to earn the trust by implementing our expertise.
Immediately after we were awarded the business, we began formulating a process to meet our customer expectations. The first step was to institute a policy of best practices, which regardless of industry conditions, would secure capacity and provide world-class on-time delivery service within the ever-changing JIT environment. From that decision, multiple new procedures were implemented, including the following:
- Establish open and trusted communication channels among all engaged parties (our customer, Unyson and our carriers) throughout the entire process.
- Ensure all goals and expectations are established and that all parties are aligned. Just as importantly, quickly determine if someone can’t do something so we can find an alternative solution.
- Ensure all parties are committed to achieve these goals.
- Clearly define “on time” so everyone knows how they are being measured.
- Implement and share detailed on-time metrics so past and current performance is measured and communicated and allows corrective action to be implemented when a need is identified.
- Ensure all parties have 24/7 operations that are fully empowered to make decisions.
- Build flexibility into the process so that when situations change, as they inevitably do, all parties can adapt and manage what comes next.
- Ensure all parties have a high level of ownership in the process and that this ownership extends beyond their own segment, so that everyone understands what’s needed, when it’s needed and who is responsible.
- Don’t allow assumptions to become part of the process. That means customized, not out of the box, solutions for every scenario.
Unyson makes a commitment to all of our clients to strive for meaningful savings. To achieve this, there is also a commitment to elevating our clients’ supply chain with best in class practices that are customized to fit our clients’ needs. As a result, our partnerships grow as trust strengthens.
I encourage you to think through your current process and think about common pain points. Best practices require change management, but in a JIT environment where all cylinders must be in sync, it’s an everyday necessity. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions, I’d love to hear from you and learn from your insights. If you would like to subscribe to our Executive Vice President’s newsletter, please email email@example.com and you will be added to the monthly distribution.
Helping you sleep better, one shipment at a time!
Senior Director, Operations